What to do if my flight is canceled?
Your plane remains nailed to the tarmac and your flight is canceled. If this cancellation does not involve extraordinary circumstances, you may, under certain conditions, receive a compensatory indemnity.
If your flight is canceled, according to article 8 of regulation 261/2004, the company must propose three possibilities. You are free to choose between:
– The refund of your ticket at the price where you bought it.
– Your re-routing by another flight under similar conditions of transport and as soon as possible.
– Your re-routing at a later date.
In addition, you can also benefit, under certain conditions, from a compensatory compensation. It is calculated based on the distance of your trip and the delay on arrival. Its amount is:
– 250 euros (or 125 euros if you arrive within two hours of the originally scheduled arrival time) for flights with a distance of 1500 km or less.
– 400 euros (or 200 euros if you arrive within three hours of the originally scheduled arrival time) for intra-community flights from 1,500 to 3,500 km.
– 600 euros (or 300 euros if you arrive within four hours of the schedule initially planned) for other flights.
While waiting for your replacement flight, if you have chosen this option, the company must cover your catering expenses, your telephone calls and, if necessary, your accommodation.
The compensation in case of cancellation of your flight applies only for European flights or flights operated by a European airline company.
Some examples :
From Paris, you had to take an Air France flight to arrive in Milan at 16 hours. Your flight has been canceled and the carrier offers a replacement flight the same day. You land in Milan at 8 pm You will receive a compensatory allowance of 250 euros.
From Paris, you had to board an XL Airways France plane for New York. Your flight has been canceled and the carrier offers you a replacement flight the next day. Your accommodation, your phone calls and your catering must be supported by XL Airways France and you will receive a compensation of 600 euros.